The pyramid of peace
It was commissioned by Ronchamp veterans who wish to commemorate their brothers in arms fallen on the hill in 1944. The stones of the old chapel were used for its construction. This pyramid, reminder of ancient architecture, serves also as a platform from which the faithful can follow the pilgrimage mass. Symbol of peace, the dove upon the small steel pillar was designed by André Maisonnier, Le Corbusier’s assistant responsible for the construction of the chapel.
Chapel Notre-Dame du Haut
The Gatehouse Notre-Dame du Haut
The Gatehouse is the visitors’ reception of the Colline Notre-Dame du Haut. This building is both a truly multipurpose place and a stopover before entering the site. It includes a ticket office and shop area, but also a resting area and a room for cultural activities (exhibitions, conferences, workshops).
The oratory is the chapel where the sisters gather each day to pray. As in Notre-Dame du Haut, a vault which seems to be floating raises towards the choir to meet zenithal light.
The pilgrim's shelter
The Chaplain's house
Le Corbusier didn’t want any bells for the chapel, but he imagined an electro-acoustic system which never saw the light of day. In 1975, after Le Corbusier’s death, Jean Prouvé created a steel arch carrying three bells.
Saint Clare’s Monastery is half-buried in the hillside, invisible from Notre-Dame du Haut. It extends along two levels: the bedrooms downstairs, and the areas of community life upstairs (reception, library, workshops, kitchen, oratory). Large bay windows connect the nuns to nature and the outside world. Reinforced concrete is the material of choice to support the weight of the earth, but also to create a link with the work of Le Corbusier.